Health Services & Immunizations

Health Services and Requirements

Dear Parent/Guardian,
Health services at St. John the Evangelist School are provided by the Binghamton City School District, with a Registered Nurse on site from 10:00am – 2:00pm. Health services include:

  • NYS mandated screenings for hearing, vision (including distance and color deficiency), height/weight, scoliosis
  • Physical exams by district doctor if not done by private provider
  • 1st aid and nursing care for injuries, accidents and emerging illness
  • Administration and safe storage of medications
  • Maintenance of individual health records including health history, medical examinations, dental certificates, immunization status
  • Health information and referrals

Medical Examinations and Dental Certificates

Any child entering Pre-K, Kindergarten, 2, 4, 7, 10, or new to the Binghamton School District must have a physical. The physical may be done anytime from the beginning of the prior school year to the present. We recommend you have this exam by your own healthcare provider, as they know your child. Please have him/her complete the physical form and return it to the school nurse by October 1. If this form is not returned, your child will be scheduled for a physical by a Binghamton school district doctor. You will be notified of any abnormalities.

We request dental certificates for Pre-K, K, and grades 2, 4, 7, and 10 showing that an exam has been done sometime from the beginning of the prior school year to the present. Please fill in the dental form and ask your dentist to complete it.

Annual Health History

For Pre-K, K, 2, 4, 7 and 10 and new entrants, please complete the Health History form and return it to the school nurse. If your child has a serious illness, surgery or a change in a medical condition or medication, please tell the school nurse and/or provide an updated health history.

Please inform the health office if your child takes medication at home, even if not given at school. This is important information in case of emergency.

Medications at School

  • Please complete the parent portion of the Medication Request Form if your child needs to take over-the-counter or prescription medication at school, and ask your health care provider to complete and sign their portion. Return the completed form to school.
  • All medications must be delivered to the school by an adult. By law, to ensure the safety of all children in our school, children are not allowed to carry any medications to school.
  • All prescription medication must be in a labeled bottle from the pharmacy. Over- the-counter medication must be in original container.
  • In some cases, children may carry medications for asthma or other serious conditions; these require the above signed forms, a request from the provider and parent to self-administer and an evaluation by the school nurse to verify the child is capable of self-administration.
  • Children are not allowed to carry other medication, vitamins or cough drops with them at any time at school, including in with their lunch.
  • All medications must be picked up by an adult by the end of the school year. Those that are not picked up are discarded. We do not carry over medications or permission forms/orders from one school year to the next.


State Law requires that all children entering school be immunized against several diseases. Proof of immunization is required (unless there is documented medical or religious exemption.) Please get a copy of immunization records from your health care provider.

Grade 6 Requirement
New York State has an immunization requirement for students entering 6th grade.

Because the requirement is a Public Health Law all students must have the following:

  • As of January 2007, all students entering 6th grade must have a Tdap. Students who are 10 years of age will not need to receive the Tdap until they are 11 years of age. After their 11th birthday, a 14-day grace period is granted for the completion of the immunization.
  • To comply with the New York State law, you must provide written documentation from your health care provider to the School Nurse by the first week of September or your child will risk exclusion from school. If your provider would like to fax proof of the Tdap immunization, they may fax it to the school.

Birth Certificate

Please provide a copy of your child’s birth certificate to the health office.

All completed forms can be faxed to the school. If you have any questions please feel free to call the health office at 607-723-0703. I look forward to assisting your children and thank you for your cooperation in supplying the required histories and forms.

Admission to Catholic Schools of Broome County is the first step on a journey toward personal success.